Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hope


I think that it is ironic that they call this place "Happy Valley". Winter semester taught me that just about every third person has a broken heart, about half are dealing with tragedies and the other half I just don't know well enough but they probably have something going on. Thankfully enough, there is reason to hope. Even when you hear of broken engagements, loneliness in a crowd of people, and self doubt, there is reason to hope. After the dark night the sun rises and the days are brighter. Sometimes we go through the winters of our lives where the sun tries desperately to shine through the heavy clouds, in these times we seem to go for weeks without the nourishment of the sunshine. Perhaps emotionally or spiritually using the word overcast would be a gross understatement. We may feel lost in the darkness of life, but sometimes we are fortunate enough to hold someone's hand, or hear the voice of a friend. It is though small moments that we seem to live on. Living from one glimpse of light and touch of a loving hand to another.

But in time the sun rises, the light shines and the way becomes more clear.
This is my hope, this is what I thrive on; that light will shine through the dark clouds of life and my eyes will be opened to the rainbows that follow the storms. This is my faith-- that through the Atonement of Christ my wounds will be cleaned and healed. That the scar tissue will remain only as a reminder of the experience, but fail to disfigure me. The transformation will only happen through consistent and earnest prayer, diligent and daily scripture study, and the miracle of forgiveness. Right now, it is one step at a time but I'll keep my head up and change will happen.

In the process of finding this hope, I cannot keep it to myself. Those small precious moments of encouragement that I receive from others I will pass forward to my friends. In this little "happy valley" of ours, even though I am not at 100%, I can still reach out and help others who are struggling. What love I have I can share, what peace I find I can spread, what happiness I make I can extend to others and through our efforts, we can help each other through whatever storms may come.

7 comments:

  1. The process is not what makes it the "happy valley," its the final outcome. If it weren't for a few tragedies their would never be as much joy in the happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true, and to be honest I think that it could be taken to another level. That regardless of all the heartache that is here there is reason to hope and rely on a better tomorrow. We of all college communities should be aware of the "brighter dawn" so to speak. "happy valley" could be happy because even though people here deal with all the same issues, they are more confident in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice alliteration Jess ;)

    And James, I've been thinking a lot about what you said, and I decided that I had something else to say. That even though many of us go through our own tragedies, it is worth it in the end. There is a happy ending:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its just hard to see that silver lining when your in the middle of it. I think that is why God blessed us with friends and family. I think of how lucky I am, and say a quiet prayer for those who do not have someone to point out true perspective. Especially for those beyond the reach of the gospel, I feel for them especially.

    Thank-you for the perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selina,

    Your right. But in the scriptures instead of “Happily Ever After” it words it a little different. I like to call it the SMILE philosophy.

    …to be Spiritually-Minded Is Life Eternal.

    2 Nephi 9:39 “O, my beloved brethren, remember the awfulness in transgressing against that Holy God, and also the awfulness of yielding to the enticings of that cunning one. Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be Spiritually-Minded Is Life Eternal.”

    That is the true happily ever after. That is where we learn to SMILE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SMILE is good stuff. I have that marked in my scriptures and have written it in a few notes to friends on the front cover of books.

    ReplyDelete